École GreenfieldSchool engages students in local and global citizenship throughout the year. The Student Government involves all students, Kindergarten through Grade 6. Every April, all students have an opportunity to run for office and participate in the election process.
Fruit For a Friend
Fruit for a friend is a local citizenship project for Greenfield School, initiated in 2007. This program is designed to provide a healthy snack to children at our partnership school, and is greatly appreciated by the students, parents and staff of Grace Martin School. 13,158 pieces of fruit were collected last year thanks to the collective effort of Greenfield students, staff and parents! That being said, participation is voluntary.
Greenfield students are encouraged to bring one piece of fruit to school each Wednesday. Volunteer drivers from Greenfield School will drive the fruit to Grace Martin School in Millwoods. Grace Martin welcomes the generosity of Greenfield School. The fruit is served at the beginning of the school day and acts as a healthy snack for many children.
Some fruits travel better than others. Apples, oranges, pears and bananas are the most popular donation. Grapes and melons are also a wonderful treat. Pears and bananas that are too ripe are often not useable on arrival. If you do not have fresh fruit on hand, juice boxes containing 100 per cent real fruit as well as fruit cups are welcomed. The bagged washed carrots – not technically a fruit – are also welcomed. Please do not send any fruit products requiring refrigeration (e.g. yogurt).
Shannon Kowalchuk, Fruit for a Friend Parent Leaders
ON WEDNESDAYS, THINK FRUIT FOR A FRIEND!
GTV’s mission is to communicate to the students, teachers, parents, community members and visitors, about what is happening at Greenfield. GTV is about students sharing their learning and their experiences together so that as a school community we synergize. GTV’s mission is to create successful leaders who work together and have fun through teamwork and the Seven Habits.
THE LEADER IN ME
All Greenfield students learn The Leader in Me habits. This framework helps to develop the essential life skills and characteristics students need in order to thrive in the 21st century. It creates a common language within a school and is built on proven principle-based leadership skills found in Dr. Stephen R. Covey’s, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People:
Habit #1 YOU’RE IN CHARGE
- I am a responsible person.
- I take initiative.
- I choose my actions, attitudes, and moods.
- I do not blame others for my wrong actions.
- I do the right thing without being asked, even when no one is looking.
Habit #2 HAVE A PLAN
Begin with the End in Mind
Sachez dès le départ où vous voulez aller
- I plan ahead and set goals.
- I do things that have meaning and make a difference.
- I am an important part of my classroom and contribute to my school’s mission and vision, and look for ways to be a good citizen.
Habit #3 WORK FIRST, THEN PLAY
Put First Things First
Donnez la priorité aux priorités
- I spend my time on things that are most important.
- This means I say no to things I know I should not do.
- I set priorities, make a schedule, and follow my plan.
- I am disciplined and organized.
Habit #4 EVERYONE CAN WIN
- I balance courage for getting what I want with consideration for what others want.
- I make deposits in others’ Emotional Bank Accounts.
- When conflicts arise, I look for third alternatives.
Habit #5 LISTEN BEFORE YOU TALK
Seek First To Understand, Then To Be Understood
Cherchez d’abord à comprendre, ensuite à être compris
- I listen to other people’s ideas and feelings.
- I try to see things from their viewpoints.
- I listen to others without interrupting.
- I am confident in voicing my ideas.
- I look people in the eyes when talking.
Habit #6 TOGETHER IS BETTER
Profitez de la synergie
- I value other people’s strengths and learn from them.
- I get along well with others, even people who are different than me.
- I work well in groups.
- I seek out other people’s ideas to solve problems because I know that by teaming with others we can create better solutions than any one of us alone.
- I am humble.
Habit #7 BALANCE FEELS BEST
Sharpen the Saw
Aiguisez vos facultés
- I take care of my body by eating right, exercising, and getting sleep.
- I spend time with family and friends.
- I learn in lots of ways and lots of places, not just at school.I take time to find meaningful ways to help others.
Click to view Leader in Me Parent Guidebook